Sunday, May 16, 2010

*Special Post* The Invisibles

So, at youth group the past couple of weeks, we've been learning about the invisibles. You know, those people you see but never talk to? Never notice but they're there? Lately I've been noticing more and more of those people, around school, and at church. And honestly, I feel a little bad. All this time I've been ignoring them, pretending they aren't there because they don't fit with my perfect girl image that I try to make. Am I saying that in these last few weeks I've changed? That whenever I see someone off by themselves I go and talk to them? No. Because it's HARD. As humans we strive to be noticed and liked by others. It's just the way we are. Does it mean I'm not trying? No. I have noticed more people than I have in a long time. I still try to go up to them, but I don't always. I always think about what others would think, what others will do. And that just isn't right, nor is it fair to me, or the invisibles. What are some things that make us not want to notice people? Their reputation? Their looks? The people they hang out with? What exactly is it that makes them so invisible to the normal eye? What makes us look past them and keep walking? Whatever it is that you're thinking about in your mind, it isn't important enough. These people could be one person away from getting pushed over the edge. You could be that person. You could change that. It isn't fair to them or us that we live this way. I've been trying not to overlook people lately, speak to the ones I usually ignore. I'm working on it. maybe one day there won't be a need for the words invisible people.

No comments:

Post a Comment